the invasion of patchwork…and I love it!
Patchwork is funny. It’s like the Sacha Baron Cohen of fabric. Everywhere it goes it stirs people up and they either love it or hate it! Patchwork has always been around but just recently I’ve noticed an influx of patchwork within our visual culture. It could very well be that I just caught sight of a small pool of brands, but let me show you what I mean… here are some examples (from mainstream to not so):
I can’t help but recall an incident earlier this year when a certain controversial patchwork bag was unleashed onto us; the Louis Vuitton Tribute Patchwork Bag that retailed for $42,000. For those of you who missed the story, no I don’t have an extra digit in that number. The bag is made up of 15 different previous LV bag styles and only 24 were made. But wouldn’t it be rad if the whole patchwork fad ignited from here!?!? I know, I’m such a glutton for conspiracy.
The LV Tribute Patchwork Bag
Trending this week
- X-Ray Portraits of Couples by Ayako Kanda and Mayuka Hayashi
- UnBRELLA | the inverted umbrella is the latest innovation in rain protection
- Mirrored Infinity Room | Yayoi Kusama at David Zwirner
- Nudes Like You’ve Never Seen Before | Shinichi Maruyama at Bruce Silverstein
- Rough draft sketches turned into actual furniture by Daigo Fukawa
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist