Weekend House Alley | Chiba Manabu
Architect Chiba Manabu recently completed Weekend Alley House, a multi-purpose commercial space on the waterfront in Kamakura. The structure is divided into 7 different buildings, helping to create a feeling of openness that is consistent with the ocean around it.
As far as I understand, the complex is now fully populated with shops, restaurants, cafes and even a hair salon. For anyone looking to get out of Tokyo for the weekend it sounds like a pretty nice excursion to me.
I like how each passageway is its own pair of binoculars, highlighting a unique view of the ocean depending on which way you turn. Standing in the center it almost reminds you of a compass.
(Images courtesy of chibamanabu.jp)
Trending this week
- Illustrations that you can touch by Masahiko Sato and Tatsuya Saito
- Optical Illusion Pen Cases Appear to be Three Dimensional
- The Cats of 19th Century Japan
- Tokujin Yoshioka’s Gravity-Defying Agravic Table
- Photos from Japan’s 2014 Cherry Blossom Season
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist