An interesting show opened up at Issey Miyake’s 21_21 Design Sight last week. U-Tsu-Wa is an homage to the craftsmen, featuring the work of the inovative potters Lucie Rie (Austria) and Jennifer Lee (Scotland), as well as the work of woodworker Ernst Gamperl (Germany).
While paying homage to these crafts steeped in history and tradition, the show is more about looking into the future; a meditation on how we continue to interact with these crafts.
Trending this week
- UnBRELLA | the inverted umbrella is the latest innovation in rain protection
- X-Ray Portraits of Couples by Saiko Kanda and Mayuka Hayashi
- Rough draft sketches turned into actual furniture by Daigo Fukawa
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist
- Mirrored Infinity Room | Yayoi Kusama at David Zwirner
- Nudes Like You’ve Never Seen Before | Shinichi Maruyama at Bruce Silverstein