japanese art, design and culture
Spoon-Tamago

Ryuji Nakamura’s Hechima Chair & Insect Cage

Speaking of Ryuji Nakamura, his Hechima Chair (2008) and Insect Cage (2007) were featured in the eco & art 2009 exhibit jointly sponsored by Konica and PEN, and dubbed ideas that would save the planet.

The Insect Cage was made using a method know as rapid prototyping to create super thin grid lines (0.3mm to be exact). And as you can obviously see, this would not be a good home for your award-winning rare ant collection.

The structure plays tricks on ones distance perspective because the captured insect can disappear depending on one’s angle of view. But at the same time it creates a certain proximity that traditional glass of resin-based cages don’t afford.

The Hechima Chair is actually made out of paper (vulcanized fibre) and shares the light, airy characteristics of the Insect Cage.

Related:

Pin It

Trending this week

6 comments

1 maia { 05.22.09 at 3:05 am }

I love the aesthetic of the hechima chair, and the insect cage appeals to my inner child…I was a fanatical insect (and snake) collector as a child, and always looking for new and creative ways to make insect habitats.

Please do submit a post – I’d love it! Email it to me anytime, along with any photos you’d like me to include.

2 maia { 05.21.09 at 11:05 pm }

3 yuka { 05.22.09 at 2:45 pm }

The chair is stunning – and would be great for someone who moves frequently!

4 yuka { 05.22.09 at 10:45 am }

The chair is stunning – and would be great for someone who moves frequently!

5 JCD Design Awards 2009 | Spoon & Tamago { 07.01.09 at 1:40 pm }

[...] Ryuji Nakamura’s Hechima Chair & Insect Cage [...]

6 Konica Minolta Art and Eco Awards 2010 | Spoon & Tamago { 04.23.10 at 1:10 pm }

[...] wanted to share some work from the recent Konica Minolta Art and Eco Awards. I briefly covered this last year, but decided to pay more attention to it this year. And I apologize for the lack of consistency in [...]