y+m design office | Kaidannoie (Stairs House)
Also known as coolest. house. ever., Stairs House is a beach-side residential home in Shimane Prefecture, Japan that was designed by y+m design office. It was completed last year for two teaching parents and their kids who wanted a space that was warm, bright and private, and where they could invite their students over. (click images to enlarge)
The solution turned out to be – as you can obviously see – stairs. Glass slits in between the stairs allow light to shine in while creating a natural shade for privacy. The home also functions well in different seasons, maximizing ventilation during the summer while housing warmth during the winter.
All that sounds great but do you know what I love most about this house? That you can actually climb around and play on your own house!What a ground breaking idea. Who said homes only function as a shelter?
Popular this week
- Trivia | 8 things you probably didn’t know about Mt. Fuji
- Yu Yamauchi spent 600 days on Mt. Fuji photographing sunrises
- Water Balance | a flower vase that lets you know when it’s out of water
- The most gorgeous ad for funeral home services
- The Deep Sea Mystery Circle – a love story
- Photographing the many faces of Mt. Fuji