y+m design office | Kaidannoie (Stairs House)
Also known as coolest. house. ever., Stairs House is a beach-side residential home in Shimane Prefecture, Japan that was designed by y+m design office. It was completed last year for two teaching parents and their kids who wanted a space that was warm, bright and private, and where they could invite their students over. (click images to enlarge)
The solution turned out to be – as you can obviously see – stairs. Glass slits in between the stairs allow light to shine in while creating a natural shade for privacy. The home also functions well in different seasons, maximizing ventilation during the summer while housing warmth during the winter.
All that sounds great but do you know what I love most about this house? That you can actually climb around and play on your own house!What a ground breaking idea. Who said homes only function as a shelter?
Trending this week
- How a TV show inadvertently made a miraculous historic discovery
- Creative Chocolate Ideas from Japan
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist
- The Secret World of Japanese University Cafeterias
- 3D ice cubes let your scotch cool down in style
- Residence of Daisen | A house designed to fit in between the gaps of trees