japanese art, design and culture
Spoon-Tamago

Mast Humidifier by Shin Okada

This weekend New York was hit with a bout of cold weather. All the stations were hyping it as the coldest temperatures of the winter so far. We figured, if not now, when do we succumb to the corrupt border-town sheriff, also known as central heating? So we reluctantly flipped on the switch and, as we heard the motor begin to hum, immediately sensed the iron hand descend, securing us from the outside frost for the price of every last penny of moisture.

We have yet to find a humidifier that we like because every crappy one becomes a cesspool of bacteria within days. And all the other ones are either too bulky, too ugly or too expensive. Until today. Meet Mast, an exquisite creation of pure Hinoki (Japanese Cypress), recently designed by Shin Okada and crafted by Masuya Koubou. Known for its high-quality timber, rot-resistant qualities and lemony scent, the thinly sliced Hinoki mast absorbs water from the hull and diffuses it, and its intrinsic aroma, into the room. And it goes without saying, but no electricity needed.  I am willing to bet money that it will look more elegant than the damp washcloth draped over my ceiling fan.

You can purchase it here.

Pin It

Trending this week

29 comments

1 faye { 01.12.10 at 2:58 pm }

this is so sweet! and i love your blog. hope you don’t mind if i link you on mine…do drop by if you have a chance!

cheers
art spot ・

2 faye { 01.12.10 at 9:58 am }

cheers
art spot ・

3 Johnny { 01.12.10 at 10:06 am }

thanks for stopping by faye! I love your blog. Very eclectic!

4 Irene Turner { 01.12.10 at 7:09 pm }

I LOVE this product. Is there anyplace in the US we can buy? I’d love to feature this product on my web/blog too, if my readers can get it easily. They should export to the US if they don’t already. Thank you for your inspirational and very cool products!

5 Irene Turner { 01.12.10 at 2:09 pm }

6 Johnny { 01.12.10 at 2:15 pm }

Unfortunately the product is only available in Japan and if the company is anything like typical Japanese companies they probably don’t have the resources or will to export :-(

7 A Wooden Humidifier That Requires No Electricity [Humidifier] | phoneinferno | the hottest mobile phone blog resource android google iphone nexus one palm pixi blackberry smartphone { 01.13.10 at 1:39 pm }

[...] rot resistant and, naturally, electricity free. Plus it’s really nice looking. [Masuza via Spoon and Tamago via [...]

8 Graceful designs that don’t require electricity – we need more like this! { 01.13.10 at 1:42 pm }

[...] Learn more – or buy it – at Spoon & Tomago. [...]

9 A Wooden Humidifier That Requires No Electricity | Gizmodo Australia { 01.13.10 at 2:40 pm }

[...] rot resistant and, naturally, electricity free. Plus it’s really nice looking. [Masuza via Spoon and Tamago via Mocoloco] Tagged:designeco-friendlygadgetsgreengreen [...]

10 A Wooden Humidifier That Requires No Electricity [Humidifier] | Products & Tech News { 01.13.10 at 4:18 pm }

[...] Its rot resistant and, naturally, electricity free. Plus it's really nice looking. [Masuza via Spoon and Tamago via [...]

11 A Wooden Humidifier That Requires No Electricity [Humidifier] | Hirdyz Emporium { 01.13.10 at 5:40 pm }

[...] rot resistant and, naturally, electricity free. Plus it’s really nice looking. [ Masuza via Spoon and Tamago via [...]

12 Luftbefeuchter aus Holz braucht keinen Strom - DAS GADGET WEBLOG - DIGITAL LIFESTYLE TODAY AND TOMORROW { 01.14.10 at 5:46 am }

[...] Masuza, Spoon and Tamago, [...]

13 Beth { 01.18.10 at 10:57 pm }

what an amazing product….great find!

14 Beth { 01.18.10 at 5:57 pm }

what an amazing product….great find!

15 TheAL { 01.25.10 at 1:15 am }

I wish it was available in the US. It’s great!

16 TheAL { 01.24.10 at 8:15 pm }

I wish it was available in the US. It’s great!

17 The Beautifully Simple and Green Mast Humidifier | Design Sojourn { 01.26.10 at 9:14 pm }

[...] Snow Mag and Spoon and Tamago. AKPC_IDS += [...]

18 Kay { 01.30.10 at 2:43 pm }

I would order some (several) today if I could read Japanese! I don’t know what boxes to click.

19 Kay { 01.30.10 at 9:43 am }

20 Johnny { 01.30.10 at 11:12 am }

the vendor has notified me that they will be available shortly on this website!

21 JESSE BERGER { 01.30.10 at 4:46 pm }

WHERE IN NEW YORK CITY ARE THEY SOLD AND AT THE PRICE??????

22 JESSE BERGER { 01.30.10 at 11:46 am }

WHERE IN NEW YORK CITY ARE THEY SOLD AND AT THE PRICE??????

23 Johnny { 01.30.10 at 11:50 am }

Jesse – we are being told to check back on this website where they should become available shortly. My guess is they will go for about $70.

24 The Beautifully Simple and Green Mast Humidifier | MikeCapson.com | A Saint John Web Designer { 03.03.10 at 11:45 pm }

[...] Via: Snow Mag and Spoon and Tamago. [...]

25 Coolest Humidifier… « MappingMinds { 06.03.10 at 2:30 pm }

[...] Mast by Shin Okada. I found it in a blog called Spoon & Tamago. You can buy it for only 6300 Yen. Mast [...]

26 Nathan Clutterbuck { 06.07.10 at 11:59 am }

Love this

27 file cabinet dividers { 07.05.10 at 12:56 pm }

Excellent! Great article, I already saved it to my favourite,

28 Air Cleaner { 09.03.10 at 8:20 am }

Very nice design. what particular location this is available?

29 air purifier { 10.11.10 at 3:31 pm }

You saved my alot of time thank you so much for sharing your experience.