House with Curved Walls by Studio Velocity
Nagoya-based architecture firm Studio Velocity completed a house, much rather a beauty salon, with curved walls that expand in volume as the structure retreats.
Completed earlier this year, the beauty salon is the result of an extensive study on curvature, and how it can apply to the creative use of indoor and outdoor space. Specifically, the need for an outdoor garden, cloth-drying and parking space, were part of the requirements.
Kentaro Kurihara and Miho Iwatsuki, the duo behind Studio Velocity, write that the initial idea came from a desire to create a structure that doesn’t blend in with its intimate retail and residential surroundings. They wanted a lasting impression to be imprinted on people who would walk or drive by on the relatively high-traffic street.
Popular this week
- Trivia | 8 things you probably didn’t know about Mt. Fuji
- Yu Yamauchi spent 600 days on Mt. Fuji photographing sunrises
- The most gorgeous ad for funeral home services
- Water Balance | a flower vase that lets you know when it’s out of water
- The Deep Sea Mystery Circle – a love story
- An installation of colorful masking tape | mt ex sendai