A Room in the Glass Globe by Hideyuki Nakayama
In conjunction with Design Tide Tokyo, architect Hideyuki Nakayama – a protégé of Toyo Ito – has teamed up with UNION, a manufacturer of door handles and levers, to create a glass globe doorknob. As you approach the doorknob you catch a glimpse of what appears to be another world, waiting for you to enter and join, but in fact is a reflection of the room on the other side of the door.
When I first saw this it was very Ghibli-esque to me. I’ve never seen so much thought go into a doorknob. It’s currently on display at Plain People in Aoyama.
Popular this week
- Trivia | 8 things you probably didn’t know about Mt. Fuji
- Yu Yamauchi spent 600 days on Mt. Fuji photographing sunrises
- Water Balance | a flower vase that lets you know when it’s out of water
- The most gorgeous ad for funeral home services
- The Deep Sea Mystery Circle – a love story
- Photographing the many faces of Mt. Fuji