A New Year A New Look
Ever since our launch in ’07 we’ve pretty much had the same look and feel. And it’s worked out so far but a few things been clawing at me so I finally decided to do something about them.
New banner and column width
One thing I’ve always wanted is a wider content column. Although I love to write, the site is pretty image-heavy so it only made sense to optimize it for better image viewing. As a result, I also re-shot our banner images to match the new width. It feels a bit different but still features our iconic dolls, which were designed by the awesome people at Groovisions. (oh, and they’re slightly different on each page)
“Explore” is a new page that I’m pretty excited about. As we state in our manifesto of sorts, one of our objectives is to tell a story – “what’s going on in the Japanese art & design industry and where is it headed.” This page helps shape that story. If you’re interested at all, please do check it out.
There are a few other things that I’ll be tweaking in the coming weeks but I just wanted to let you know what was going on. If you see anything funky, or have any suggestions, please leave me feedback in the comments (be nice…please) or drop me a line.
Trending this week
- It’s not what it seems | painted food disguised to look like other food
- Residence of Daisen | A house designed to fit in between the gaps of trees
- A water bottle made to look like a soy sauce container
- Japanese Bento Boxes That Prioritize Artistic Value Over Taste
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist
- Bird’s Eye View Maps by Cartographer Hatsusaburo Yoshida