House in Chiharada by Studio Velocity
If there’s 1 thing you should know about “House in Chiharada” it’s this: the home’s Japanese name is much more interesting. Translated to the effect of, “a bottom floor with a view of the sky and a top floor that’s like a town,” the residential home is the latest project by Studio Velocity (previously), who are known for their clever us of space and unique-looking structures.
Located in Aichi prefecture, the home derives it’s name from the way stairwells rise up in the living room to resemble buildings in a town.
The oval-shaped dining room on the 2nd floor has 4 towering stairwells of varying heights, mimicking the landscape of a town.
Various openings and windows create dynamic focal points. Skylights in the stairwells also pass light down to the first floor where there is a kids room and bedroom.
Trending this week
- How a TV show inadvertently made a miraculous historic discovery
- Creative Chocolate Ideas from Japan
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist
- The Secret World of Japanese University Cafeterias
- 3D ice cubes let your scotch cool down in style
- Residence of Daisen | A house designed to fit in between the gaps of trees