Goldfish tank phone booths are popping up across Japan
A Kansai-based five-member art collective known only as Kingyobu (goldfish club) have been installing goldfish tank phone booths on the streets of Osaka. Details remain murky – like,why? – but the group seems to have debuted their contraption at an art festival in late 2011, and have gone on to install several others throughout 2012.
Spectators have pointed out that it appears as if the goldfish are sandwiched between 2 sheets of glass, making for a cruel yet visually stunning functional phone booth. But that does not seem to be the case. Based on the making-of images, these are actual fish tanks.
Trending this week
- Illustrations that you can touch by Masahiko Sato and Tatsuya Saito
- Optical Illusion Pen Cases Appear to be Three Dimensional
- The Cats of 19th Century Japan
- Tokujin Yoshioka’s Gravity-Defying Agravic Table
- Photos from Japan’s 2014 Cherry Blossom Season
- 3D ice cubes let your scotch cool down in style