a giant pop-up jungle gym emerges in Tokyo Midtown
images courtesy exite-ism | click to enlarge
A giant jungle gym aptly titled “mountain gym” has emerged on the large patio in front of Tokyo Midtown. Part of Design Touch 2012, an extension of DesignTide Tokyo, the large structure was designed by architect Makoto Tanijiri and functions as a playground for kids and adults during the day, while transforming into a lit-up sculpture at night. It was made entirely out of wood which, according to Tanijiri, will be reincarnated into a 2nd life after the exhibition closes on November 4.
If you’ll recall, a large picnic table occupied this space last year.
below photos by Makoto Tanijiri | click to enlarge
this post is part of a series covering the design festivities (Tokyo Designer’s Week and DesigTide Tokyo) taking place through Nov. 4. Full coverage can be found right here.
Trending this week
- It’s not what it seems | painted food disguised to look like other food
- Residence of Daisen | A house designed to fit in between the gaps of trees
- A water bottle made to look like a soy sauce container
- Japanese Bento Boxes That Prioritize Artistic Value Over Taste
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist
- Bird’s Eye View Maps by Cartographer Hatsusaburo Yoshida