Nude | Composite photos of the dancing human body by Shinichi Maruyama
Japanese artist Shinichi Maruyama has a new body of work out. While continuing with his manipulation of time and motion, Maruyama shifts his focus from water and paint to the human body – the naked human body, that is. But the series is rendered completely SFW in that each image is a composite of 10,000 individual photographs, creating a time-lapse effect.
I tried to capture the beauty of both the human body’s figure and its motion.
The figure in the image, which is formed into something similar to a sculpture, is created by combining 10,000 individual photographs of a dancer.
By putting together uninterrupted individual moments, the resulting image as a whole will appear to be something different from what actually exists.
The series was created in collaboration with the choreographer Jessica Lang, who assisted in testing various routines to create picture-perfect dance movements. The two have been working together a lot recently. Last year Maruyama joined in on the production of White, a dance piece that was created on film.
Trending this week
- X-Ray Portraits of Couples by Ayako Kanda and Mayuka Hayashi
- UnBRELLA | the inverted umbrella is the latest innovation in rain protection
- Mirrored Infinity Room | Yayoi Kusama at David Zwirner
- Rough draft sketches turned into actual furniture by Daigo Fukawa
- Nudes Like You’ve Never Seen Before | Shinichi Maruyama at Bruce Silverstein
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist