Pacific Dazzle baton | a hillside oasis in the city
Pacific Dazzle is a small company that operates 5 beauty salons in the Kansai area – 3 in Hyogo and 2 in Osaka. Their latest store is baton, which opened back in March. It’s located on a fairly busy street in Myodani City, where forests and open fields have been replaced by new apartments and shopping complexes. “We wanted to create a space where you could experience the soothing outdoors while still being in the city,” says the company, explaining their concept of shichusankyo (市中山街) – a term that loosely translates to mountainous city living.
They enlisted architect Nobuo Kumazawa of Atelier KUU to breathe life into their lush concept. He began by creating an exterior façade lined with protruding planters at various levels so that visitors are at once greeted by plants and greenery. Once inside, a fountain, green walls and strategically placed trees help stage a dynamic performance that transports visitors to a hillside oasis.
Trending this week
- Japanese Bento Boxes That Prioritize Artistic Value Over Taste
- Residence of Daisen | A house designed to fit in between the gaps of trees
- Nendo featured in lifestyle magazine PEN
- Bird’s Eye View Maps by Cartographer Hatsusaburo Yoshida
- Tatsuo Horiuchi | the 73-year old Excel spreadsheet artist
- A water bottle made to look like a soy sauce container